When deciding what to cook during the week, my first thought is “what would lily eat”. The other one is always sorted with his staples of course. So my train of thought starts with, “what does lily like”, “she ate that last week, how can I change it”, “how can I cook it so it’s easy for her to eat on the go” and “can I make the same batch for myself with less carbs”. She loves meat balls and so I decided to put them in puff pastry that was calling out my name in the freezer section of the super market. Did a fresh marinara sauce,topped the meat ball with mozzarella and wrapped it in a puff pastry square. The best part is when I decided last minute to brush the puff pastry with a melted oregano garlic butter sauce. So simple, so good! This is being filed under easy cooking fo shizzle.
Prep time: 10 min
Cooking: 25 min till golden brown
What you’ll need:
- Meat balls from your trusted butcher. You can make your own if you insist but then this dish won’t have a Prep time of 10 min and under you see?
- Puréed tomatoe with basil, oregano, and thyme, salt and pepper
- Mozzarella cheese
- Puff pastry roll
- 2 tbsp Butter and 1 crushed garlic for brushing in the end
- Cook meat balls till brown on the outside then set aside. They will continue to cook further inside oven when wrapped in the pastry
- Prepare marinara sauce with above ingredients
- Roll out puff pastry and cut into squares as per photo.
- Place meat ball on top of pastry square, top with two tsp of marinara sauce, add 1 tsp of cheese, and top with a fresh basil leaf.
- Fold each corner upwards and give it a squeeze on top to hold it all in.
- Brush with melted garlic butter and more oregano.
- Pop in oven on medium heat till golden brown. Around 25 min and serve with left over marinara sauce for dipping!