Another week, another banana cake. I feel Iike this has become part of my life. Whatever gets some extra nutrition in that child of mine! This time, my plan was to create a banana dried fruit cake. Which meant I got to put much less sugar (always refined free) in the mix. Halfway through mixing I realized I was one cup short of all purpose flour. Ground Flaxseed was the only thing I had in my cabinet which I thought I could substitute it with. So I did. I used a little over than 1/2 a cup to substitute for 1 cup of flour.
The only problem was, when the cake came out of the oven, it had a weird flaxy smell to it. “How on earth am I gonna disguise this to the kids!!” The torture of baking something and kids not liking it is just terrible. So I thought to make a healthy icing, using labneh. Knowing that I could be making it worse, I went ahead by adding some raw honey I get from Lebanon (l’atelier du miel), orange zest and vanilla. It tasted great! I felt like a champion! I even added sprinkles to it.
This cake is real proof that even though something looks pretty, doesn’t mean the kids will eat it. They did not approve of the icing nor the sprinkles and asked me to take the top layer away and they are the weird smelling flaxseed cake. How could I even be disappointed when they were eating the cake I thought was going to be a no go for them. Lesson learnt.
Here it is! I followed my usual banana cake recipe except substituted a few items because that’s what I do and I get that from my mama.
I would like to add that the adults in the house really enjoyed the labneh icing. Like A LOT! So give it a try!
Over achievingly healthy Banana Dried Fruit Cake
Method and Ingredients:
* Preheat oven to 180C or 350F
* Gather all the wet ingredients and beat them well
1. 3 eggs
2. 3 tbsp refined free sugar
3. 1/2 tsp vanilla
4. Add 3/4 cup sun flower oil
5. Add 1/2 cup yogurt
* In a separate bowl add the dry ingredients
1. 1 cup flour + 3/4 cup ground Flaxseed
2. 3/4 tsp baking powder
3. 1/2 tsp baking soda
4. Pinch of salt
5. 1 tsp cinnamon
* Mix the dry ingredients and slowly add it to the wet mixture
* soak the dried fruit in two tablespoons orange blossom water for 10 minutes.
1. 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
2. 1/2 cup chopped and pitted dates
3. 1 cup mashed bananas (the darker the better)
4. 1/2 cup dried raisins
* Grease a pan, pour batter in it and pop in oven for 45 min or until toothpick comes out dry.
1. 1/2 cup labneh
2. 2 tbsp honey
3. 1/2 tsp vanilla
4. 1 tsp orange zest
Mix together and spread over cake.