Pumpkin, pumpkin everywhere! I’m in love with Fall and all it’s dishes it has to offer! I’ve been wanting to make pumpkin donuts for a while now and I finally did it because 1) Something in my head was telling me to package pumpkin in a donut form so that my son would eat it. 2) Been waiting to find a simple and easy recipe!
I’ve cooked baked donuts before and they came out cake like – total bummer! I felt like I got ripped off. These on the other hand, came out thicker but still moist! I refused to glaze them despite the little Halloween devil on my right shoulder whispering “caramel frosting, brown sugar frosting, cinnamon – sugar frosting in my ear” I managed to block it out and keep them plain. This way, the kids are actually eating good stuff and I can send to school in their lunch box!
I used my electric donut maker that I have seen in several kitchen gadget sections of stores. However you could also use a donut baking tray. (The electric one takes 2 min per round and is much quicker)
In one bowl whisk the following:
- 2 cups all purpose flour minus 2 tbsp
- 1 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
In a second bowl mix with an electric blender the following till well blended and no more lumps:
- 3/4 cup unrefined brown sugar (original recipe called for 1 1/2 cups brown and white sugar so add extra as you wish)
- 1/2 cup sunflower oil (or canola)
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cup pumpkin purée (canned or fresh)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Empty dry ingredients into wet ingredients and mix again till smooth.
- Drop 1 tbsp full into donut pan or donut maker and cook.
If in an oven and in a pan: 10 min
If in an electric donut maker: 2-3 min